If you open your dishwasher to find clean dishes in a puddle of dirty water, you likely have a draining problem. Why is my Maytag dishwasher not draining water? A clogged drain hose may be preventing water from emptying at the end of a wash cycle. Here’s how to determine the most common causes and solutions when your dishwasher water won’t drain.
Troubleshooting a Maytag Dishwasher Not Draining Water
Before determining the cause for draining issues, the first step is to manually drain a dishwasher. Scoop out as much standing water as possible before mopping the base with towels or sponges. Once that’s done, use these troubleshooting tips to determine how to fix a Maytag dishwasher not draining.
1. Clogged Maytag Dishwasher Filter
Filter clogs are one of the most common reasons for a Maytag dishwasher not draining water. While the filter screens out larger food particles, preventing them from clogging the drain pump, the filter will become clogged without regular cleanings. If your dishwasher smells bad, it could be another sign that the filter needs cleaning.
Here’s how to clean a Maytag dishwasher filter:
- Take out the bottom rack and locate the filter in the center or rear corner of the dishwasher’s base.
- Take off the filter’s cage or grille. Consult your user manual to determine if it can be lifted or must be unscrewed.
- Remove the filter by lifting it straight up.
- Rinse the filter under running water. Scrub lingering food particles with an old toothbrush, if necessary.
- Replace the filter, followed by the cage or grille.
2. Drain Hose is Obstructed
A large food particle or accumulating debris that escapes the filter and drain pump may end up clogging the drain hose. Why is there standing water in my dishwasher if the water reaches the hose? When blocked by the hose obstruction, the water ultimately backs up into the dishwasher. Removing the drain hose obstruction should solve the problem. However, this is a more complex intervention that’s best performed by a professional.
Follow these general steps to clear drain hose obstructions when you find your Maytag dishwasher not draining water:
- Turn off the dishwasher’s power and water supply.
- Unclamp the drain hose from its connections at the sink drain or disposal and dishwasher.
- Inspect the hose for clogs and gently remove them by flushing with water or bending the hose.
- Reclamp the drain hose at its connection points.
- Restore the dishwasher’s water and power supply.
3. Maytag Dishwasher Drain Pump Has Failed
If there are no obstructions in the filter or hose, water not draining from dishwasher may be due to a drain pump failure. The pump uses an impeller to expel water through the drain hose. If the pump fails, water won’t be able to drain and exit the dishwasher.
Reasons for a Maytag dishwasher drain pump not working include:
- A broken or damaged impeller
- Drain motor doesn’t run
- Multimeter testing of the drain motor shows a lack of continuity
A failed drain pump can’t be repaired and should be professionally replaced.